How does Dependent Coverage work?
Dependent coverage must be applied for during the Enrollment/Change Period for each semester in which coverage is being requested.
Coverage will take effect on the date of application, receipt of proper premium, or the semester beginning date, whichever is later.
Dependents insured for the prior semester will have no lapse in coverage, provided application and premium is received by the appropriate semester deadline.
Dependents acquired through marriage or birth, including an adopted child after the Enrollment/Change Period, may be added for coverage provided application and proper premium is received within thirty-one (31) days after the date of marriage or birth.
If the 31-day period falls during a change in semester, premium will be required for both semesters in order for coverage to be retroactive to the date of the event.
Dependents of international students arriving in the United States after the Enrollment/Change Period may be added for coverage provided application and proper premium is received within thirty-one (31) days of that arrival. The dependents passport can verify proof of the arrival date into the United States.
Who Qualifies as a Dependent?
A dependent is defined as:
- An insured's spouse (husband, wife, or domestic partner)
- Their unmarried children from birth to age 19 including:
- an adopted child
- a child who lives with the insured from the time of the filing of a petition for adoption
- a stepchild or recognized child who lives with the insured in a parent-child relationship who is appointed legal guardian of the child
- Any child under age 18 for which the insured is under court order to provide medical coverage
- Any child age 19-23 if enrolled as a full-time student in any accredited school and financially dependent upon the insured
What is a Pre-existing limitation?
A 12-month pre-existing condition limitation will apply for all dependents unless the dependent was covered under the U of I (Urbana campus) Student Insurance plan during the prior semester (therefore there will be continuous coverage) or the student can submit written proof at time of application for the purchase of dependent coverage that the dependent has been continuously insured by a creditable health insurance plan, and there has been no more than 63 days since the termination of that coverage.
A Pre-Existing Condition is defined as:
1. The existence of symptoms which would cause an ordinarily prudent person to seek diagnosis, care of treatment within the 12 months immediately prior to the Insured's Effective Date under the policy; or
2. Any condition which originates, is diagnosed, treated or recommended for treatment within the 12 months immediately prior to the Insured's Effective Date under the policy. The pre-existing condition limitation will include pregnancy.
The necessary form to purchase dependent coverage will be available on this website under Download Enrollment/Change Period Forms during the scheduled Enrollment/Change Periods.
Any forms taken from the web must be submitted by fax or mail.